Friday, August 04, 2006

Guideposts...


IN the far reaches of the Northern territories, you will find these inukshooks. They are scattered across the land to designate guideposts for people who travel in the snowy north. As we have seen on CBC (The National) this week with Peter Mansbridge, the global warming issue is at hand as scientists have seen the major amount of melting of the sea ice and how far the ice sheets have receeded from local town areas in the Northwest Passage areas.

** Church and Community **

I had a meeting with the assistant Priest of the Christ Church Cathedral this afternoon. Joyce was so cool, we talked for about an hour and a half. We talked about me and her life and the consecration of Gene Robinson and the kind of hate that exists in the world. I told her that every time I walk into a Catholic church, my heart just drops in my chest. There is no thrill of mass, my desire to worship with a religion that is hell bent on Repression and Patriarchy and Hate is gone. I am just too old to keep fighting on a ship that is sinking. So as Joyce said, "nothing is going to change anytime soon, so for now, find a place that you can be "part of." I agreed! I don't have to change my heart where my Catholicism lies. I don't have to deny the church or God. She invited me to join the service on Sunday. So that's what I am gonna do. This Sunday I will be attending services at Christ Church Cathedral. It's a beautiful little church. I will take some pictures of the interior this weekend and show you all the wonders of this most dynamic sacred place.

** War **

I am thinking alot about "Riverbend" over at Baghdad Burning. Her writing is getting much more urgent as the violence continues in the suburbs of Baghdad, as she writes: some excerpts from her latest entry.

1. "Since the beginning of July, the men in our area have been patrolling the streets. Some of them patrol the rooftops and others sit quietly by the homemade road blocks we have on the major roads leading into the area. You cannot in any way rely on Americans or the government. You can only hope your family and friends will remain alive- not safe, not secure- just alive. That’s good enough.

For me, June marked the first month I don’t dare leave the house without a hijab, or headscarf. I don’t wear a hijab usually, but it’s no longer possible to drive around Baghdad without one. It’s just not a good idea. (Take note that when I say ‘drive’ I actually mean ‘sit in the back seat of the car’- I haven’t driven for the longest time.) Going around bare-headed in a car or in the street also puts the family members with you in danger. You risk hearing something you don’t want to hear and then the father or the brother or cousin or uncle can’t just sit by and let it happen. I haven’t driven for the longest time. If you’re a female, you risk being attacked.

There are no laws that say we have to wear a hijab (yet), but there are the men in head-to-toe black and the turbans, the extremists and fanatics who were liberated by the occupation, and at some point, you tire of the defiance. You no longer want to be seen. I feel like the black or white scarf I fling haphazardly on my head as I walk out the door makes me invisible to a certain degree- it’s easier to blend in with the masses shrouded in black. If you’re a female, you don’t want the attention- you don’t want it from Iraqi police, you don’t want it from the black-clad militia man, you don’t want it from the American soldier. You don’t want to be noticed or seen."

2. "I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever know just how many hundreds of thousands of Iraqis left the country this bleak summer. I wonder how many of them will actually return. Where will they go? What will they do with themselves? Is it time to follow? Is it time to wash our hands of the country and try to find a stable life somewhere else?"

So I dropped her a letter - and told her what I knew - and what I would do in asking that kind of question. War is not kind to anyone. Especially civilians. You can go read from her blog to get the total picture in her latest entry this week. People are dying, people are being killed, just because they walk the streets or travel around in cars, nobody is safe. People are hunted and killed indescriminately. I just cannot imagine what kind of life that must be like, not being able to leave ones home or drive ones car, because malitia-men may and possibly will kill you because of who you are. Every time I read an entry from Riverbends blog, I get sick to my stomach because I just cannot imagine what it is like to live with that kind of stress in ones life. We pray that they decide to do something to insure their safety in the long term and soon.

Other than that, I spent the afternoon doing housework. So my house is clean, I went grocery shopping and that was that. Such a well spent day. Tonight, SODOKU !!!

SODOKU
SODOKU
SODOKU
SODOKU
I can't stop !!!

AHHHHH



1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

anxious to hear how church goes..
how much do I love that you love God so much...

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home