Saturday, July 22, 2006

Updates (Directly) from Israel...

As the sun set on Montreal, Friday night, and Shabbat began, I sent a letter to my friend Yoel in Israel, inquiring about his sons and the family and those they counted as family and friends. Today I got a response from (Shilo, Benyamin) ... I think the human story is more important than what we see on television.

*************************

First of all let me tell you that your concern and warm words are very important to us. We each live our lives in a little "bubble" and forget that the contacts outside of it are concerned and caring. Its nice to be reminded that we are not alone.

I can't say too much, old soldiers don't die, they just get more circumspect. "Loose lips kill" The very least I can say is that both my boys are Paratroopers, one in "reserves" and the other still in active duty. It is not unlikely that they will meet up in the next few days as both their units have been sent North to support the efforts of the IDF to destroy the source of destruction and existential threat to our lives here in All of Israel.

The other thing I can share, as an old horse who's been put "out-to-pasture" is that it is much easier to do it yourself than sit at home knowing your sons are putting their lives on the line to defend our right to existence. In many ways, unfortunately such realities separate the "men" from the "boys". The "men" are those who know what they believe in and realize that sometimes you have to bleed to defend those beliefs. The "boys" don't believe in anything much except having a good time and are unlikely to risk their lives when it is easier to simply move somewhere else.

Well this is too "stream-of-consciousness" for me, I'd rather think my responses through so I'll end here. If you believe in a source of justice and truth please prayer to him/her/it and demand that the Jewish People come through this trial complete both physically and spiritually.

Your friend in Israel,
Yoel Ben-Avraham
Shilo, Benyamin

Let us keep up our prayers for those in Israel, and all of those affected by war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home