Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Projects - Race and Ethnicity... the beginnings ...

Last night I had a conversation with a friend about a situation here on Campus and I have a plan, I'm not gonna write about it specifically because my ideas are my own and so I passed it by the preacherboy last night and I got a passing grade from him. Now I am waiting on word from my contacts as to when we can meet and discuss my plan in depth. Let Us Pray ...

This could be BIG!

I have changed my template a bit UP THERE at the top to properly reflect what I am trying to achieve in my studies, understanding the real dynamic of our great country of such promise. Are we multicultural or are we struggling? I think we are struggling with many issues on many levels culturally, religiously, socially and ethnically.

I went to my new class Race and Ethnic Relations in Canada. A delight of a class taught by a little man from the East, which suits me just fine. I even met a few new people so this will be a delight to end my Summer of classes. I think this class will add another dimension to my religious studies in the sense that I've studied Religions of Canada and many world religions in depth.

Conceptualizing Race, Ethnic and Aboriginal Relations, chapter 1 opening page 1...
From: Unequal Relations - An introduction to Race and Ethnic Dynamics in Canada


"It's been said that this "adventure" called CANADA resembles an enigma wrapped around a mystery inside a riddle. Canada has also been taken to task as a "solution" in search of a "problem." Regardless of interpretation, both cryptic comments embody a kernel of truth.

Canada continues to be widely regarded as one of the world's best place to live - a sopciety so blessed with physical resources and human resourcefulness that it literally has to "invent" problems that others might dismiss or ignore. Canadians have much to be grateful for in light of their democratic and open traditions, despite interminable internal bickering that may say more about being pampered than having problems.

But the prospect of "living together with differences" remains a perplexing and provactive challenge. The world we inhabit is rapidly changing and increasingly diverse. Conventional understandings about the realities of social life have been challenged and transformed by the burgeoning of minority demands and the entry of minority women and men into spaces previously denied to them. Just as scholars have had to rethink traditional models of dominant - subdominant relations, so too are Canadians continuing to wrestle with a host of diversity issues beyond comprehension and outside control."

*******************************

I've had a little more than 5 years to observe and learn about my home country over the years and I have certain perspective about a myriad of topics. Canada is not perfect and we have our issues, but we are also social groundbreakers. We are in the league of nations that have challenged the definitions of marriage and we welcome myriads of people from all over the world, But let's admit, Canada SUCKS on Immigration and Deportations and so does the U.S. we should remain unique and NOT become like the U.S. or the u.s. That's why we are Canadians...

You know immigrants built Canada and the United States, I think we need to return to our roots and remember the sacrifices made to build what we have today, and by whom, OR ELSE WE NEED TO TEAR DOWN THE STATUE OF LIBERTY, BECAUSE WHAT SHE STANDS FOR IS NOT REALITY IN TODAYS DAY AND AGE IN EITHER COUNTRY...

**********************************
The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

*******************************

Multiculturalism is an issue here in Quebec because of conflicting desires of a province that lives with a myriad of peoples and still maintains the desire to separate from Canada, and where would that leave all of us who are not francophone. Where would that leave the masses of ethnic peoples, the religious masses and those who came here from other countries that are trying to survive in a province that is based in Judeo-Christian ways. This is a very Catholic province. And we are at an impass to try and adopt a way to EMBRACE all of what the people of Canada have to offer Canada and Quebec.

If we let arrogance and separatist thought control the way this province is going, and we allow this arrogance and superiority of Nation to overshadow the Important Contriibutions that others bring to a country that is still struggling with the reality and legal need to understand Diversity in all its forms. Canada is revolutionizing what it means to accept and allow, did you hear that "Accept and Allow!!" When I came here - I was repeatedly denied kindness because the francophone people I dealt with in stores and restaurants wanted to be PIGS. Thankfully, 5 years later, that "attitude" has mellowed. Not that I don't understand the language enough to converse when I need to - and I do that... I just think Canada as a whole and Quebec as a province could work towards Unity of Spirit and Unity of community. I believe that the Unity of Canada will be maintained if we ALL work together to show the world that we can be Unified.

Because you know, the generation of the old timers is on their way out, so traditional francophone lifestyle will change when the patriarchs and matriarchs die - what is passed on through familial lines may change as this country expands linguistically, spiritually, economically and socially. We cannot afford to backpedal on the issues of diversity and separation. We must become unified in spirit to build this country because the world is going to HELL in a handbasket and someone is going to have to clean up the mess that is about to be wrought on the earth because of war, missiles, crazy Asian leaders and a Middle East that is about to IMPLODE upon itself.

And Canada sits above the Northern Border and we WATCH, I know we are involved in many military assignments around the globe and P.M. Harper might be Bushy's lapdog, but he is standing up for Canada and I am quite pleased to see CANADA saying NO to the U.S. on several issues. I know I am meandering... ok back on topic... I need to eat something... DINNER !!

Where is Canada going on Diversity and Multiculturalism? Do you have these same issues where you live? and what is your view on these topics. Do share I love comments and discussion. I know that Hawaii and the Pacific Coast of America and Western Canada have specific issues centered around diversity and cultural acceptance and multiculturalism.

Well this post is a disaster... So I am going to publish this and eat cuz my head is aching.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Deborah said...

nooooooooooooo
you've abandonned me all alone in that psycho-bitch class! Argh...
at least, you are not required to do that class for your degree. you lucky man!
anyway, your new class seemed really interesting. Guess I'll be interest in reading more of your thoughts on the subject.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Echo Mouse said...

Great post Jer. You represented all Canadians well. That rudeness in Quebec from the francophones has been around since Canada was first named. It's disgusting.

This country, from what I remember during the 70s to today, is in fight mode all the time. That is directly a result of all the different cultures we have accepted. The difference lies in how Canada used to help immigrants assimilate within Canada and learn what it is to be Canadian. They kept their heritage and tradtions at home but in public, they were like those of us who lived here always.

In the 1980s I started to see a shift. It became, every citizen from a different country who came to Canada basically just lived here. But they expected their culture to be recognized. We have all suffered as a result, to the point where "Canada" as it was founded no longer exists. Now, it's a mix of many cultures,many of whom are intolerant of Canadians despite the fact that they greatly benefit from living here. So they fight amongst each other and themselves. It degrades our society and Canada as a whole as their numbers increase.

We used to say both the Lords Prayer and sing the National Anthem every morning in public school. Circa 1970-73 that I remember, and forever before that. Then, a few immigrants complained, so we lost all that. Honestly, I'm amazed when kids today KNOW the national anthem because we're barely allowed to sing it anywhere.

I admit, I don't like the changes. I don't like the separatists and would happily put them on a ship, boat or plane back to France. My Grandmother, being from Quebec, said the same thing. She was fed up with them all. I'm tired of the fighting because I've grown up with it. And it used to be just Quebec. Now, it's Quebec, and Alberta, and B.C., and all the immigrants who want to live here but have Canada become like their home country. *My* history and *my* Canada was taken away and that's unfair. And I am pissed about it and get increasingly more upset about it every year.

So, as a born and raised Canadian, whose father was an immigrant from the Bahamas, but whose mother descended from french-canadian and the founders of this country, I am fed up. But I don't see it getting better. I actually consider moving to Norway or Iceland in old age, just to get some peace. At least they've kept their heritage and traditions, no matter who they take in. And the immigrants are happy to honour the country they joined and it's culture. If I can keep saying Merry Christmas into 2010 I'll be amazed.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

man...you are one smart son of a gun!!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home