Friday, July 28, 2006

The light is changing...


As I was preparing to go out to the Mass last night, the phone rang and it was my great aunt, calling from the Mother House. She sounded weak and afraid, but at the same time resigned and accepting. She told me that she was released from the Hospital yesterday into the care of the Mother House Infirmary. ( I did not know she was in the hospital )

Now My aunt is in her mid-eighties. She told me that she had lost an excessive amount of blood overnight and that there were serious medical problems that the medical team at the hospital decided that treatment and or surgery would only hasten the inevitable.

They decided amongst themselves that she would return to the mother house and wait for God to make his next move. Sister G. told me that God knew best for her and that whatever God chose to do now, she was ok with. She said to me tonight that she is not as young as I am and that God knew what he was doing. She placed her life in the hands of God and the sisters of the Mother House. There is no doubting that this latest problem was the deathknell for her.

Now I am faced with waiting on God as the nuns wait on God. And I pray that she is not suffering and that God will be merciful and just. I called the Infirmary tonight and she is resting comfortably, and I was told who I was to contact should I need more information and medical updates. I have known for some time that Sister G. was not long for this world. I've known this for some time. The end is coming for a very bright light in my life.

Sister G. is the last survivng connection to my grandmother Camille. She is the last remaining link to that generation of people from that time period who can give me insight into those areas of life that I have collected stories from over the last 5 years.

Camille and Marguerite D'Youville were the reasons behind my coming to Montreal. My grandmother is the woman who began this journey of faith for me years ago. I don't know how I am going to cope with her passing. I don't know what to do for her now but to wait on God, to Pray for mercy and beg the intercession of Marguerite D'Youville to come be with her and to guide her into the arms of the Heavenly Father.

In our moments of greatest need we pray:
R: God Hear us

St. Marguerite D'Youville was born at Varennes, Quebec, on October 15, Marie Marguerite Dufrost de La Jemmerais. She studied under the Ursulines, married Francois D'Youville in 1722, and became a widow in 1730. She worked to support herself and her three children, devoted much of her time to the Confraternity of the Holy Family in charitable activities. In 1737, with three companions, she founded the Grey Nuns when they took their initial vows; a formal declaration took place in 1745. Two years later she was appointed Directress of the General Hospital in Montreal, which was taken over by the Grey Nuns, and had the rule of the Grey Nuns, with Marguerite as Superior, confirmed by Bishop of Pontbriand of Quebec in 1755. She died in Montreal on December 23, and since her death, the Grey Nuns have established schools, hospitals, and orphanages throughout Canada, the United States, Africa, and South America, and are especially known for their work among the Eskimos. She was beatified by Pope John XXIII on May 3rd - 1959 and canonized on December 9th 1990 by his holiness John Paul II.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

my prayers are with you, friend.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home