Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Concordia - Terrorism / War - Rape - Killing - Soldiers

Let me begin this missive with this Hot Topic Discussion
I give you
Assem Hammoud
(pictured over there on the left)

Mr. Assem Hammoud, is reported to have lived a life of luxury and privelege in other parts of the world and at one period of time lived in Canada, namely here in Montreal, and attended Concordia University in the not-to-distant past. Now let me say emphatically that I do not blame anyone nor hold anyone at Concordia responsible for justifying or explaining how this man could just slip through the cracks. I am posting this as a "please be aware" entry.

He was a student here, which means there could be more. The university has yet to be contacted about this report, see the article below from CTV news.

It is also reported that he was not a very responsible tenant and was sued by several land lords for stiffing them on his rent. Not very responsible behavior by a man who very well had the "means" and lived it up well in other countries, but in Montreal he was clearly not responsible or honorable. But then again, doesn't privelege give you the right to be irresponsible?

It pains and dismays me to hear that a student that was educated at Concordia and he recruited others to follow his lead, are in jail - or have been questioned in the apparent terrorist attempt to "BLOW UP" the Holland Tunnel in New York City.

I find it disturbing to think that this man, Assem Hammoud, walked the same halls of education that I/We walk today. Now he is in a Lebanese JAIL.

I shook my head in disbelief in hearing that Concordia had been connected to a student and his followers who would even consider attempting or carrying out a terrorist attack ANYWHERE.

I find myself wondering about others on campus, and this truly sets us (As a Student Body) on edge to think that there is a real possibility that there is an "Al-Qaida" recruiting presence within our ranks on campus.

I have to say that this frightens me and I am sure it frightens other students not to mention everyone on campus. There is nothing unnerving like living with the knowledge that there are fanatical jihadists walking among us.

I can accept my fellow students and not judge him or her for their religion of origin and/or their traditions and ways of life, but I just cannot, in good concience condone terrorism or the thought of terrorism on our campus as a student in the Department Religion at Concordia University.

With this truth now "out there" for the masses to see on the news and in print on news sites and blogs, how is this going to affect the entire University for the coming academic year?

I quote from the report below "The president of the university's Muslim Students' Association at the time said he doesn't recall Hammoud's name or face."

He was a student and that is my main focus. What do we do as students and community members on a campus that has a very high "Muslim/Fertile Crescent" presence, I have to be very careful here in my description of location, let's call them "areas now in present conflict."

This situation may foster future condemnation and separation on campus between factions of students, religious groups and communities. How does that make you feel - to imagine that would be terrorists walk among us?

Does this strike anyone as
"Terrifying?"


What is the administration going to do to guarantee our safety? Well, I don't know what they could do to guarantee anyones safety if people like Assem Hammoud slipped into and out of our university unnoticed by those who should have known. Who can say if there are, at this moment, students who have pledged allegiance to Al-Qaida and may follow in this man's footsteps.

As student and a Religion Major I find it terribly disturbing that a student used us and now sits in a foreign jail accused of masterminding a TERRORIST ATTACK in North America, namely the United States!

Canada as a country and Montreal as the city and Concordia as a University are now on the map as the locations of another (Canadian/International) fanatic terrorist. He may not have originated here, but now we know he WAS here, and that matters in the grand scheme of things. Do any of you other Concordia students, readers, staff and faculty find this Disturbing??

As LONG AS Canada remains on the map along side of the United States in this Insane War and Occupation of land that is not ours to inhabit, this kind of terror will continue. Killing people has become the choice of terror, now recruiters have begun to stalk out campus for willing participants. Do we allow this to continue in our own back yard?

They got my attention, did they get yours? Are you afraid now?Are you willing to gamble and let this issue go ignored?

Terrorist have walked among us and who's to say that they don't now and won't in the future. It is time to bring our troops home and take ourselves Off the Terrorist Block - Because now no one is safe from terrorist Jihadists and Students who MAY or MAY NOT be allied with Al-Qaida. This is the second time that Canada has been connected to a terrorist plot to KILL PEOPLE.

Does this not bring attention to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his cronies on Parliament Hill to make a decisive decision to nip this terrorist connection from growing further within Canada? We must not let this issue slip between the cracks of politics and ignorance.

It is one thing for terrorists to be arrested in Ontario, it is quite another beast all together to know that a terrorist suspect attended classes in the same Institution and lived in the same city as I/we do today. It seems that terrorism is making its way into the rest of the world, I guess that goes with the territory now. No one is immune to the threat, because of One Man's Greed to Conquer the Fertile Crescent area, and who is this man George W. Bush...

We need to get out of this war. We need to let George W. Bush deal with his own war of his own making. How many more soldiers and reservists have to die to bring finality to our missions overseas? Afghanistan is not Iraq, but Al-Qaida is still Al-Qaida, terrorists are still terrorists, they know no borders or boundaries. I am disturbed, I am concerned for my fellows and I am concerned for the University that I have spent the last 3 plus years in living and learning in this community and it I don't know how to deal with fellows who might entertain thoughts of "killing people." That thought really does not sit well with me.

Here is the CTV report
from Montreal
*************************

The RCMP has reportedly interrogated the friend of a former Concordia student suspected in a terrorism plot. The alleged accomplice was interviewed by the Mounties on Monday.The accomplice is said to be a friend of Assem Hammoud. Hammoud is a Lebanese national suspected of plotting to blow up the Holland tunnel in New York City.

Lebanese authorities accuse Hammoud of being the mastermind behind the alleged plot. Hammoud studied finance at Concordia part-time between 1995 and 2002. Concordia spokeswoman Chris Mota says Hammoud graduated with a bachelor's degree in commerce in 2002, majoring in finance and minoring in international business. Reports say the Hammoud was recruited into al-Qaida while studying here.
Mysterious

Hammoud does not appear to have been involved with student activities at Concordia while he was here. The president of the university's Muslim Students' Association at the time said he doesn't recall Hammoud's name or face. School officials say they're equally in the dark. "The name means absolutely nothing (to people) that I have spoken to," Mota told CTV News at Noon. "I certainly have never heard of his name before." Mota added that Concordia has not been contacted as part of the investigation.

Fake passport
The Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation says Hammoud travelled to New York and New Jersey on several occasions using a Canadian passport to survey possible targets. But a source familiar with the case says that neither Hammoud nor his parents are Canadian citizens, meaning if he has travelled on a Canadian passport, it was a fake.

- Part 2-
War - Rape - Killing - Soldiers
brought to you by
Baghdad Burning
**********************

These are a few lines from an incredibly powerful post by our courageous Baghdad Burning friend. Go and read the entire entry and tell me that you don't think this war has gone too far!!

"... It fills me with rage to hear about it and read about it. The pity I once had for foreign troops in Iraq is gone. It's been eradicated by the atrocities in Abu Ghraib, the deaths in Haditha and the latest news of rapes and killings. I look at them in their armored vehicles and to be honest- I can't bring myself to care whether they are 19 or 39. I can't bring myself to care if they make it back home alive. I can't bring myself to care anymore about the wife or parents or children they left behind. I can't bring myself to care because it's difficult to see beyond the horrors. I look at them and wonder just how many innocents they killed and how many more they'll kill before they go home. How many more young Iraqi girls will they rape?

Why don't the Americans just go home? They've done enough damage and we hear talk of how things will fall apart in Iraq if they 'cut and run', but the fact is that they aren't doing anything right now. How much worse can it get? People are being killed in the streets and in their own homes- what's being done about it? Nothing. It's convenient for them- Iraqis can kill each other and they can sit by and watch the bloodshed- unless they want to join in with murder and rape..."

Discuss...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home