Sunday, May 28, 2006

Quit Log - Day 6 without a Cigarette - Observations

I salivate and I search for the taste of nicotine in my mouth. It is not there any more. I am getting a handle on my emotions - I've been practicing daily you see. I wonder if smoking is hooked into the hunger for food, or is the hunger for food hooked into smoking? Because I find every time I get hungry, I think about a cigarette. But it is wierd, after I eat, I don't necessarily crave or want a cigarette. I need to replenish my candy stock, since I finished the bag last night. I am trying not to go wild eating in place of smoking. I don't need to gain weight - I need to loose some weight, as a matter of fact.

It's not like I am craving anything. I am trying to figure out what exactly I am feeling and sensing. I think I am trying to complicate things. Well, I am an addict and an alcoholic so complicating things is my mission, right? wrong. I think my powers of experience and observation have served me well in quitting the BUTT!! I have a good handle on my addiction to drugs and alcohol which frees me up to tackle this smoking issue with a level head.

I took my Cardiologists advice to just bite the bullet and do this once and for all... no patch, no gum, no pills, no chew sticks and the least amount of mental and emotional hysteria as possible. Thank God I don't hit alot of meetings any more or I'd go crazy from the manic members in the room who would start convulsing if they heard I quit smoking without smoking cessation tools or the drama that some have to have to do anything !! UGH !!

I have worked to Dis-Associate the need to smoke with certain "times of the day" and certain "activities in my daily schedule." At my home group we offer the newcommer some helpful suggestions to help them along in the beginning.

  1. Start putting the steps into action
  2. Get a few phone numbers
  3. Get a sponsor
  4. Change your ROUTINE especially in times when you usually drank
  5. Stick to the rooms
  6. Read some literature provided
  7. Keep it simple
  8. Go to 90 meetings in 90 days
So forth and so on, You get the idea at where I am going with this I hope. You can substitute any addiction there on the list... In order to quit, you have to change your routine and use the tools afforded you to help you Stop and "Stay Stopped."

What are my suggestions...

  1. Have a quit plan
  2. Set a date and STICK TO THAT DATE no matter what
  3. Pick and plan your attack strategy
  4. Make sure you have all the tools you need at your disposal
  5. This isn't simple stuff, it took me years to be ready to do this
  6. Prioritize - Prioritize - Prioritize
  7. Don't go crazy eating or binging
  8. Try not to substitute one addiction for another
  9. DO or DO NOT, there is no try...
  10. Yes, you will get emotional so keep a level head if you can
  11. There is life after smoking
  12. Meditate - Pray - or do whatever you do to maintain your serenity, yes I know easier said than done, I am a prime example... (well at least now I know
  13. If you fail, don't beat yourself up. You can always start again...
  14. No one ever said this would be easy, but it can be done, I think it was at least a little easier since I am in a program of recovery to begin with for over 4 years consecutively.
So that is what I have to offer you today...

Good luck...

The 31st of May is only 3 days away...

Quebecers all over the province are starting to hyperventilate....

Tabernac...

2 Comments:

Blogger geek_boi said...

Good luck, Jeremy! You can do it!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Echo Mouse said...

This is so wonderful. I am so very happy for you Jeremy :)

I am of the same mind as your Cardiologist. I have always done it cold turkey. It's the best way for me and I'm glad it worked for you.

Now, I have to print off your post and USE IT to get my own butt off the cigs. Thanks so much for sharing this experience and your advice. It's a huge help.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home