Saturday, May 27, 2006

Quit journal - 5 days without a smoke...

This was the Health Canada (Go Smoke Free LINK) email I got today. I am ahead of their quit schedule. I quit a week before the deadline set by the online calendar. I am better today than I was yesterday. I've tried to stay "occupied" even when I am in my head. Last night was just insane. The Quebec Non-Smoking Ban comes into effect in 4 days. By that time I will have been Smoke Free for an entire week. (Let us Pray!) If you click that link above you can join the email sender and enter the "quit smoking" survey ...

**************************************

The power of the written word

You'll notice throughout these messages that we keep asking you to write down various thoughts you have about quitting smoking. Although this seems like a lot of work, it is one of the best ways to help you be successful in quitting for good.

Keeping a journal or diary is a way to help figure out why we do the things we do. In a journal, you can record your dreams, your setbacks and stumbles, your quit plan, the lessons you've learned and your own feelings about your process of quitting.

A journal:

* provides a safe place for you to express yourself
* helps you by getting down on paper what's going on in your head
* helps you to figure out your danger zones
* provides a private outlet for feelings you have
* develops a record over a period of time to help you identify patterns
(strengths and weaknesses)
* helps you figure out your assumptions and beliefs.

Your journal is for you and you alone. Give it a try. You don't have to be a good writer since it's for no one else but you. Keep it simple. Read it over in the weeks to come. Even if you just write down a few key words, they will help you remember what you were feeling at the time you wrote them. We know that writing in a journal may not feel normal to you. That's ok. Maybe you'd rather draw pictures or paint to express your feelings and record your progress. Do whatever feels right to you - just make sure to get everything down on paper somehow.

Until you have truly become an ex-smoker, at the end of each week, ask yourself the following questions and record the answers in your journal:

* What were my physical and psychological reactions to trying to quit? What did I do to relieve them?

I meditated, I wrote, and kept myself busy even when it got the worst. Saying nothing was better than shooting my mouth off and upsetting everyone around me. That "smoke" taste has left my mouth. My hunger is bigger than it was. Today I am less moody. I have tried to maintain my equlibrium and stay focused and even keeled, well, I tried. I've been very quiet around the house the past two days. Because my emotions were running rampant over the past week or so since my last trip. It's hard to give up the worst addiction. I didn't have this type of problem before but similar. Each addiction brings with it certain emotional responses because of WHY I used them and what Not Using them today means to me.

* Did I reward myself this week? How?

No not yet... I will on Tuesday - next week.

* Did I follow my plan of action? How did I change it?

Yes I followed my plan of action.

* When was I tempted to smoke? What did I do to resist?

I have a bag of hard candy for the cravings and after meals and before bed.

* Did I ask my family and friends for support when I needed it? How did it go?

Yes I did. Thank you all !!

1 Comments:

Blogger Echo Mouse said...

Awesome!!! You're doing great Jer :) and you're an inspiration to boot!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home