Sunday, April 16, 2006

Thoughts on a Masterpiece...

For as long as I can remember there are two films a child grows up with and are seared into the memory fibres of ones brain. Those two movies are The Wizard of Oz" and "The Ten Commandments." Each year we would wait for MGM to unload these two classics, and if memory serves, they both fell within the Lenten Season. Tonight's offering was the seminal and wonderful Masterpiece by Cecil B. DeMille - The Ten Commandments. And YES I sat through all 4 hours and 40 minutes of the movie tonight.

I was going to go to mass tonight, and then I thought that I would stay home and worship in my own way. If you are going to overdose on a religious classic, then "The Ten Commandments" is the ticket. Not to mention that Yul Brynner is tasty and Anne Baxter is just scrumptious. And Dame Judith Anderson as Memnet. (Name the role she played in a Trek Classic?) Nowadays I see Charleton Heston as Moses, and the first thought that comes to mind is his speech at the nra convention and I quote "From my cold dead hands..."

You can never change, alter or recreate a masterpiece as this film. For all of its pomp and granduer, its rawness and beauty, the ten commandments is just an incredible film for its day. This year I will turn 39 yes, that's almost 40 !! Don't say it, or your fingers will fall off !! I have seen this film at least 30 times. This sitting I tried to think about how I have changed in regards to religion and God.

Although religious tradition remains the same, something fixed in ones mind as right and good and necessary to remember and celebrate, times do change and so does religion in ways of thought. Things are not as they were 39 years ago. Church was immovable and God was unapproachable, unless of course you were "in the ministry." God is still the God of my father and God is still the creator of all that is, but I am not who I was a mere few years ago.

I have changed - as God has always remained constant and unchanged. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I am not sure. But I wanted to set these thoughts down - maybe tomorrow I will write more on them then after a good nights sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home