Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lenten Reflections on (Poverty,Chastity and Obedience)

Guess what I did last night, I went to mass at St. Monica's church with my favorite priest in Montreal, Fr. Ray. He is very Jesuitian in his theology. I had a problem making peace with the pope, the church and my faith and he asked me three questions the other night.

1. He asked if I agreed with everything Mr. Harper says or does?
I replied NO

2. He then asked me if I would leave the country because of that?
I replied NO

3. He then asked me if I would give up my citizenship over that?
I replied NO

Then he said, well I guess you will be at mass on Wednesday night!!

Donald thought that was cute and commented on the Jesuitian thought process. So I went to mass and there will be mass and meditation each Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at the church throught out the lenten season with the culmination of Holy Week and Easter. I plan on attending these weekly spiritual events. Time to make space for God in your heart. So here are portions of the homily from tonights mass, these three evangelical counsels is what we will be studying throught the Lenten Journey this year. I hope you will join me in my spiritual trek through the desert this Lenten Season.

We do not follow the popes every breath, sneeze and pronouncement to the letter of the law, we follow the man they call Jesus and it is him we place out trust and we worship with God the father. I know wher to find the church, and I know who God is for me. I just needed to regain the strength to stand on my own spiritual truth and stand up for what I believe in and profess, even though I am a unrepentant, sodomizing, evil, God hated Fag !! RIIIIIGGGHHHTTT!

I don't remember the last time I had sex, so I guess you could say I've become quite the hermit and now a celibate monk! So i guess I am in communion with the church teachings, right? The closer I am to God - the less all you holier than thou, judgemental christians bother me, because at least I follow a faith and I live a good and worthy christian existence. it's almost 7 a.m. and I have not slept an hour yet this night, I went to bed and 10 minutes to 4 after writing an essay on the writings og David Tracy from Plurality and Ambiguity. My problem with Tracy is that I feel incredibly inferior and illiterate concerning the big words and high end "religious speak" that totally goes over my head. Oh well, if i get at least a "B" on this paper I will be happy. I was "in the zone" when I sat down at midnight last night to start writing and i finished a 9 page paper at 3:30 a.m. UGH, then I had to read for class tomorrow. YIKES...

T T F N

************************************

The religious vows of poverty, chastity and obedience have traditionally been called the "evangelical counsels," because they are implicit in the life of Jesus. We do not often think about monastic communities as being evangelical, partly because the religious life in the Anglican Communion had its revival in the Oxford Movement of the mid-nineteenth century, and the low-church/high-church divisions in the Church of England at that time were strong enough that an Anglo-Catholic would probably have shuddered in horror to be identified with the Evangelical party—and vice versa.

But in fact the religious life is profoundly evangelical. Members of religious orders are committed to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to bringing to God's people the good news of a life lived in Christ, and to exemplifying those evangelical principles through our life in religious communities.

The central mission of the Church is to work for the coming of the reign of God. Religious orders, throughout the history of the Church, have been one of the most powerful instruments for doing so and for inspiring that essentially evangelical work in the rest of the church. Above all it is the role of religious communities to be a sign of the presence and power of God in the Church and the world, to be a model of how the baptismal covenant can be lived out.

*************************************

Celibate chastity is our vow to love God above all else and our neighbour as ourselves, to be faithful to our community, to develop friendships that are inclusive, not exclusive. This kind of chastity stands as a witness to the great love of Christ in the face of a world in which manipulation, force, and the devaluation of the individual often masquerades as love.

Poverty is our vow to put God first, to try to live as simply as possible, to renounce the demands of self-seeking and self-sufficiency, to have no private ownership but to share everything in the community. This understanding of poverty challenges the values of a world in which the wealthy become yet wealthier while the majority of people in the world live without the most basic requirements of food, clothing, and shelter.

Obedience is our vow to pursue God's will in all things. All of our communities are committed to seeking God's will through democratic processes, in which we trust that the guidance of the Holy Spirit can best be discerned by the body of Christ as well as through our elected leaders. This kind of loving obedience stands in stark contrast to the obscene exercise of power and force around us in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home