Thursday, March 02, 2006

After many hours

Yesterday was a terribly long day, and I was really on my mark. I went to class yesterday to watch another portion of the film on JPII in my religious personalities class. After class I started my trek to St. Monica's. It was SO COLD last night, that at several times I thought my fingers were going to fall off my hands.

I took the 102 bus to a stop on its route on the way to the church, what I did not research enough was the exact (by location) of the church in regards to the bus loops in that section of the city. There are 3 busses that serve that corridor Westbound. Had I stayed on the bus a few blocks more I would have been right on top of the address, but alas, I got off the bus, 11 blocks from where I needed to be. I walked that 11 blocks in the cold, and it was really cold and windy and when I finally arrived at the church my hands were numb from the cold even inside of gloves.

After my "tea time" discourse with the good father, I left the church near 11 p.m. and he pointed me towards a second route home, via a bus I always take going to the West end campus. I was 2 blocks off that route, from the church. UGH!! As I approached the stop, there was the bus, just pulling away. Dammit... The next bus wasn't due for 30 minutes, and I was cold and freezing. I went to the bank on the corner and took some cash out and hailed a cab back to the Metro station where I could get all the way back home before the system closed down. Not to mention that I hit the underground system at the farthest point out from each train arrival, so it took me almost an hour to get home. It was midnight when I finally walked in the door.

I was "In the Zone" by that point. I had been fed from the spiritual table and I had an incredible discussion with my spiritual director and I was filled with confidence and validation. And you know, a little validation every now and then does really help ones ability to live well.

I returned to the RLP discussion and I fell into the trap of defending my lifestyle and justifying it to those who think that I am going to hell and have no place in God's kingdom. So no I don't need to justify anything to anyone. If you don't like me then don't come here to read. If you don't like the fact that I am gay, that's YOUR problem, not mine. If you think that I cannot be a good christian and be GAY, then that's YOUR opinion, and opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. What You think of ME is NONE of my business.

Nuff said about Homosexuality for this quarter
I have had my fill

After checking a few blogs I sat down here, took out my Mid term exam for RELI 409 and spent 3 hours pounding out the exam in one hit. It was a mystical experience. It was like sitting down and praying in silence, typing away with words that were coming from some other place than mybrain. I love that! The ability to consciously write in a continuous stream of thought without interruption. When I finished I finished, 9 pages, from beginning to end. Wooosh!! I had done all of the reading prior to writing it, I actually could make sense of a text that seriously made me feel inferior and stupid and illiterate. David Tracy uses terms that are way over my head. He quotes people that I have never read, and makes me think that I needed to be a huge Methodology scholar to be able to understand just what it is Tracy is really talking about, when he refers to particular people.

I do love this quote by Kierkegaard:

"Interpreters can build castles with their thoughts, but like everyone else they live next door in a hut."

What does Tracy teach me, about interpretation and how to approach any religious classic or tradition or religion? One must respectfully approach each interpretation with reverance and respect. One must employ every possible tool at your disposal to attain or learn the highest degree of information. There are many ways to interpret texts, religious classics and traditions. If you engage a text, you must be open to the opportunity to change and evolve. Interpretation begins with a question. Everything begins with a question. Leave your personal judgements and prejudices aside and leave your judgements at the door, and really take the time to study to interpret and to listen. What you get out of a translation depends on the amount of energy and work you put towards finding new answers and eventually enlightenment.

Tracy writes: "Any human being can interpret the religious classics because any human being can ask the fundamental questions that are part of the very attempt to become human at all, those questions that the religious classics address."

"Anyone who can converse can learn to appropriate another possibility. Between person and person, as well as between person and text, there exists in every authentic conversation as openness to mutual transformation."

"And our present interpretations in their turn will become relatively inadequate when further questions and further insights emerge. Why should the interpretation of religion, and it alone, be absolved from these hermeneutical demands?"

"Every interpretation, as interpretation, is an exercise in practical application. In traditional hermeneutical terms, without some applicatio, there is no real hermeneutical intelligentia or explicatio."

Moving on to harder line...

"The final indignity for anyone is to be forbidden one's own voice or to be robbed of one's own experience. To learn to listen is a good first lesson for all interpreters of the religious classics to keep in mind when hearing these new conflictual interpretations of the oppressed."

"Whatever their radical differences in interpretation, neither the theologian of retrieval nor the posttheologian of suspicion have allowed themselves the option of simply changing the subject when they encountered the limit questions evoked by any authentic conversation with the religious classics. That option was left to the compacency of modern empiricist culture. It was left to those whose only form of resistance is to change the subject. But that subject, once changed, further impoverishes an already-embattled human subject. The fundamental question to which the religious classic responds cannot be so easily set aside. As long as human beings question their most profound joys and their deepest anxieties, they remain open to the need for some enlightenment, some emancipation."

"Whoever fights for hope, fights on behalf of us all. Whoever acts on that hope, acts in a manner worthy of a human being. And whoever so acts, I believe, acts in a manner faintly suggestive of the reality and power of that God in whose image human beings were formed to resist, to think, and to act. The rest is prayer, observance, discpline, conversation, and actions of solidarity-in-hope. Or the rest is silence."

David Tracy
Plurality and Ambiguity

I turned that paper in today and I think I will do ok. I didn't feel stressed over what I had written nor did I change anything or edit anything out. So we will see how I do, this class is one of the most important classes I will take in my university career for graduation.

For you christians who would like to understand more about Gay religion or spirituality, you can check out the text titled: "Gay Religion" Edited by Scott Thumma and Edward R. Gray. That is the text we are now reading for my religion and sexuality class with none other than the fantabulous Donald Boisvert, who is a featured contributor to this text. Donald has also written many books like:

1. Sanctity and Male Desire
2. Out on Holy Ground
3. Gay Catholic Priests and Clerical Sexual Misconduct (Breaking the Silence) Donald Boisvert and Robert E. Goss, Phd.

**** David ****
I get your emails, but every time I have tried to write you back, my mail is sent back by your server as undeliverable to your address, you might want to figure out why you keep bouncing my emails back. This has been going on for weeks now, that's why you have not heard from me, because I can't get through to you!!

**** Albert ****
You are in my thoughts and prayers

What else? nothing much. I really need to get a good nights sleep tonight. I did not get to bed this morning until the sun was up around 7 a.m. I was buzzing after writing that paper. So nitey from Montreal!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Echo Mouse said...

I love the Kierkegaard quote :)

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home