Friday, August 05, 2005

Walking in Montreal

(Sung to Cher's "Walkin' in Memphis!")

From my front door it is a 20 minute hike to the bottom of the staircase of Mount Royal. Not to mention that we live in the "valley" on the South Side of Mount Royal and below (Sherbrooke) street, we are on the downs ( not yet the flats). Walking from here in a straight shot from Forte over to a very Ritzy Hotel ( the name escapes me) The hill get incredibly steep at this point, a straight shot up the side of the mountain.

I never make this hill on my first attempt, because I always get winded climbing this hill, it never fails. When you make it up the stairs you are upon the south slope, and the access road is right there. It is about an hours hike to the summit where the cross is located, if you are just walking slowly. The hills in Montreal do not rival those in San Francisco, but they are steep.

I find it peaceful and wonderful to climb and listen to some really good music, I don't have to worry about conversation or entertaining anyone when it is just me. That's my weekly exercise. The good thing about this is, you can do it in the snow as well. We usually stay off the mountain in the Winter, I don't know why, but I've never walked up there during the Winter, not yet at least.

The path is gravel and people walk, run and bike on weekends. It is a good 3 hours if you depart from Fletchers field and climb the east face as we usually do, then we hike the rest of the way up the mountain to the Cross (Summit) and then follow the path down to the side staircase.

It is not a "light hike!" I do this walk at least once a week sometimes twice. Depends on what I have to do at home. Tomorrow is Saturday, cleaning day. Maybe afterwards we'll go walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home