Saturday, July 16, 2005

Out of the Blue

Peter and I are standing in line last night, we were number 5 in the prepaid line. This tiny little Hindu man walked up to me and tapped me on the shoulder, as if he was lost and needed some direction. Everyone around me was acting as if they did not see him, as i turned around to address his question he had these big brown eyes.

On first glance, it was like I knew that I HAD to talk to this man, as if it was very important to do so! So I turned and spoke with him. It made everyone around me uncomfortable, Peter as well, i mean he was a total stranger and i struck up a conversation with him.... Yes I know. Try not to ignore the simple people, right? I was just moved to talk to him, and I am glad that I did.


It started with "What is it with this Harry Potter?" He had never read the books and so it went. He walked in betwen a set of bookcases where he made himself comfortable and started his line of questioning. What started as a simple question turned into a 3 hour conversation about the meaning of religion, foreign policy, war and Islam, and the killing of innocent people.

There was a young man standing in line behind me who kept giving me the "eye" it seems the entire group of people standing there had been eavesdropping on us the entire time. I was very outspoken on my disdain for the U.S. the stupidity of the Superpower and the total disagreement with the war and the killing of innocents.

This little man was from India, and was a Hindu, and over the course of the conversation we talked about religion. It seems he knows some of my profs at Concordia, it's a small world. He smiled when he found out that I studied Hinduism when I lived in the U.S.

I talked as long as he had questions for me. On and ON the conversation progressed and it was as if this man had been put in my path to ask me questions and so i talked to him, at the moment he tapped me on the shoulder, i felt as if i needed to speak to him, that no one in the vicinity was going to do so, so I did. We talked about Islam, and India, and the sharing of faith and living true authentic lives. It was amazing the things we talked about.

You never know who is going to show up on your path, as i always say, share your food, water and compassion, for you never know! It was a very interesting evening, to say the least. The man gave me his phone number and said he would like to continue the conversation. The number is in my wallet, and i thought about him all night afterwards.

In the end we started talking to a young man standing behind us in line, the eavesdropper, who said he could not believe the depth of that little conversation, and I said, Gosh, I felt like I just took an Oral Final Exam in World Religions, seeing the subject matter we covered in three hours time...

HMMM, was there a professor from Hogwarts there last night, testing me on what I knew, before I could get my copy, I mean we did talk all about the mythology and formation of the Harry Potter story.

I just thought this was worthy of an entry... to document that this was a little educational piece of information.

Now, Back to Harry Potter... I am on Chapter 10 The House of Gaunt!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home