Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Homolka's show of remorse empty: families' lawyers

BRING IT ON!! Let the circus begin.

This was a topic at the coffee clutch today. And people are all talking. What do we do? And how should we treat her if we see her on the street? Are we safe? My friends who live in NDG asked me these questions today. I will say one thing, She was safe behind those bars, now that she's free she will be a target and it is only a matter of time before either she cracks up or someone does something really stupid. Let us HOPE that she finds peace, I believe that that will be a long time coming. I grew up in the U.S. and I don't understand why you'd let a multiple killer OUT of prison. I am still getting used to Canadian justice. And sometimes I just shake my head, because for the life of me, it just does not make sense. Old habits die hard.

Vigilante justice is something that I DO NOT condone, i think she should have stayed where she was. It would be sad to see another person get involved in this ordeal.

And it is written we should forgive seventy times seven, but I wonder does this suffice? I was not here 12 years ago, but i have seen and read the stories, so I don't know what to say. I just don't think the media will let her rest or live in peace. This is the one and only time i will speak on this issue Unless the unspeakable happens.

********************************************


By CTV.ca News Staff

Karla Homolka's show of remorse was a masterful turn by a psychopath who has no concept of the pain and suffering she's caused, say family members of her young victims.

"She speaks of remorse, but never once in all of these years has Karla Homolka ever written to the families, ever expressed any remorse, any regret, ever apologized," says lawyer Tim Danson, speaking on behalf of the families.

He says they were deeply troubled by a television interview Homolka did just hours after being freed Monday from prison in Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Que., where she served a 12-year manslaughter sentence in the sex slayings of Ontario teens Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

"I cry often. I can't forgive myself," said Homolka in French during the interview with Radio Canada's Joyce Napier.

"I think about what I did and often I think I don't deserve to be happy because of what I did."

Homolka also said she didn't initiate any of the crimes, claiming she just "followed" the diabolical lead of her ex-husband Paul Bernardo.

But Danson says don't be fooled by Homolka's words. He points to Homolka's eyes during the interview, which he calls "empty" and "dead," and says what people saw on television across the country Monday was "vintage" Karla.

"And that is, a person who is determined to manipulate the process as best she can to her advantage. She is tough and she is determined," Danson tells reporters Tuesday at a Toronto news conference.

"Cleary in watching her performance last night, my clients feel as they've always felt: that she has no insight or understanding of the depth of her criminality beyond hollow words."

And despite Homolka's request for a blanket ban on media coverage on her life outside prison walls, Danson points out that Homolka didn't hesitate to talk to French CBC.

"She seeks a media ban while using the media for her own message. It's remarkable."

Danson says the families plan to assemble a panel of psychiatrists and psychologists who will try to prove Homolka is still dangerous and should continue to face restrictions on her freedom.

"From the families' perspective, we can never lose sight of what she did, and what she did to my clients' children was sadistic. It was brutal, it was barbaric, and it is simply something that is beyond description."

Danson also points out that while Homolka expressed a longing for an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons after her 12 years in jail, Dan Mahaffy, the father of Leslie, was "laying flowers on his daughter's grave."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home