Friday, May 20, 2005

Episode III

Lower the lights ... Darkness descends...
Cue the Orchestra...
Ready for the Catharsis...

STAR WARS

Episode III



A long time ago ...
In a Galaxy Far Far Away ...

I was 9 years old when the first Star Wars movie came out
I remember watching it at the Twin City theatre
in New Britian Connecticut.




Today was devoted to going to the movies. Peter and I went out for lunch and then we got tickets for the 3:15 Digital Screening of the Star Wars Episode III. Needless to say It was an amazing movie. I won't spoil it for you - so I won't write about the movie. What I WILL write about tonight is how I was affected by it. I have come full circle (28 years) in the making. Being an older man who was raised on the Star Wars teachings, I can see tonight, just how much this little movie impacted my life.

I can tell you that I remember all the theatres that I saw each episode as I grew up. I remember distinctly in the Return of The Jedi, when Luke was fighting Darth Vader and the truth was finally let out. I remember how emotional I got watching that confrontation. And in the same way I was moved during the last battle between Anakin and Obi Wan Kenobi. The theatre was PACKED. It was a "sold out" showing. There were all age groups represented in the theatre. Both anglophone and french speaking people. Having lived here for a number of years now, I was able to observe the cultural impact this movie had on a very French oriented population.

I know that the teachings of the Jedi Master was something that I found to "work" for me. "The Force" is universal, when you really stop and look at it, from the simplest point of view. Although I understand the position Anakin found himself as Episode III progressed. And I can see where he fell from grace. I think his heart was in the right place, when the question came to him, the desire to "save" someone.

I know that I will probably go back and watch this movie again, in the near future. Star Wars started my journey into my "spiritual journey." I think I was at that age when I was able to perceive something simple, Star Wars was something that was fluid and remained engrained in our young lives in that time of my generation. we grew up around the telling of the story ..." A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far Far Away!!"

It was almost cathartic when the movie began and that opening anthem played, and the Star Wars logo flashed on screen, I had a lump in my throat. For a brief few moments as the story board rolled past, I was sitting in the theatre watching Star Wars for the very first time.

YES, I am getting Old, because I can tell you with diffinitive certainty that I "Remember When!" I was old enough to retain the memory all these years later.

We got to the theatre about 90 minutes before the showing. There were lines of people all over the place, we waited in a QUE for about 40 minutes before they let us into the theatre, and we got really great seats, up high in the back, so we were looking INTO the screen and not up at it. The Paramount Theatre is HUGE there are 15 theatres in the building, along with a HUGE Imax screen that is about 6 stories BIG!! There were people in costume. We got to see Princess Leia and even Darth Vader made an appearance. It was great.

I have grown up... and I am better for the way I was able to incorporate the teachings of the Jedi Ways and the words of the Jedi Master into my life. Hey, it worked for me. And at age 37 I know just how i was able to do that, in light of everything I have written over the last week.

It is interesting just how this movie series impacted those of us who were young enough to build our lives around these films, i was old enough to be able to retain the first memory, and today I was able to go back in my memory and see the whole of my life, and put it all into perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home