Monday, May 30, 2005

Brothers and Sisters (Please turn in your books to CHAPTER 5 of Speaking my Mind )

I now know what y'all were waiting for me to get to in Tony Campolo's book titled:
"Speaking my Mind." Are Evangelical Handling the Gay Issue ALL WRONG?

YES they are !!!

Christian preachers are the most hateful of people, in the way they hurt us as humans and as God's creations. And they should be punished. And they will be on the Last Day.
I have no forgiveness for men and women who have spent their lives hurting those of us just because we are different. The pain you have caused us, especially those of us who lived and died through the AIDS crisis is "Unforgiveable."

It is because of Christian FEAR and HATE that men were thrown out of their homes, that families were split in two, that boys, and men were thrown out on the streets and denied healthcare and proper deaths and burials because of YOUR arrogance and Ignorance!!
I was there in the middle of it. YOU preachermen and women have alot of ground to make up.

AND GOD WEPT !!!!!!

I agree that there are five classes of Gay people in my spectrum of thought.

1. Those of us in Committed (or in Canada MARRIED) relationships.
2. Those who are single and are sexually active to the point of excess.
3. Those gay men and women who are single and have taken a vow of chastity.
Either by calling or by choice.
4. And those who don't give a shit what anyone thinks of them.
5. All the other Gay men and women who live respectable lives

I enjoyed his approach to the Gay agenda, and his support of the community, but he still struggles with his "scriptural" correctness. I think that if YOU all gave us a chance to be men and women of spiritual worth, you would find that we can be acountable and useful. But the fact remains that many "religious orders, denominational groups, as well the three major Religions do not condone nor give us credence." (they being Catholicism, Judaism and Islam).

I just laughed out loud when he suggests that "What is needed is some kind of a 12 step program, so that all of these brothers and sisters in Christ have persons to whom they could turn when they feel themselves weakening."

HA HA HA HA HA HA

( I know the 12 step program so I can write these up !! )

The 12 steps of Celibacy for Homosexuals....

1. We admitted that we were powerless over sex and my life has become unmanageable

2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sexual sanity

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our sex lives over to the care of a God, as we understood Him

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of ourselves

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of Character

7. Humbly asked him to remove our shortcommings

8. Made a list of all people we had harmed, and became WILLING to make amends to them all

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible except when to do so would injure them or others

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understand him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

and 12...

12. Having Had a Spiritual Awakening as THE result of these steps we tried to carry this message to others________ and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

I am a member of several 12 step programs. There are sex groups that revolve around the 12 steps. Celibacy is something that is chosen - it is something that not many men would agree to. and If that is his only way to accept Homosexuals, then he has lost the fight already!

If celibacy would gain me your respect, then I don't need your respect. I already have God's respect, love, forgiveness and strength. And that is good enough for me.

I am sexually oriented toward the man I am married to AND i have sex with him as well.

I knew "well before" i ever started dating in Junior High, that I was different,
I KNEW!!


But because of peer pressure and my homophobic parents I tried to act or live "Straight," until I could not do it any more. I was lying to myself. That was NOT being authentic. Today I live an authentic life. And I am NOT going to change who I am to meet someones "requirement" of acceptible behavior.


WHY Mr. Campolo should we become Celibate to make you accept us fully?

You have such kind words for us, you are supportive and accepting. But there you go, and get caught in your own web of required behavior. I was with you all up until you said the word "CELIBATE!"

That story about the preacher who did the funeral for the man who had died of AIDS because mo one else would do it!! was Wonderful and encouraging. What other priests, preachers and ministers did was Sinful, I have seen that happen in my lifetime. There are men of faith who read this blog who accept and pray for us, just go check my bloglist.

Should US gay folk require you straight men to be celibate to become part of OUR community?
Wouldn't that only be fair? What we do behind closed doors is no ones business. I believe that sex is something SACRED and I have sex with my husband whenever we want, we do not share ourselves with anyone else, and GOD is present when we make love.

The minister who married us saw me last week, she asked me about the sacred! Yes, my life as a Christian is Sacred, but she also reminded me that my relationship with my husband in its simplicity and all its sexuality was sacred as well.

To ask us to become "celibate" like the priests and nuns of certain religions is going WAY too far. I mean come on, how many celibate men and women have broken their vows within the walls of the seminary, convent and Monastery??

It is arrogant presumption to think that this little aspect of our lives can be just wiped clean and changed to make us acceptible to God. I AM ACCEPTIBLE to God, and pleasing to his eyes. When I commune with my body, I commune with my God. It is almost like prayer at the end of the night to offer myself to my God.

I live the best Christian life I can, within my own capacity...And I am a sexual being. So let the first man without sin, cast the first stone.

Most Gay men I know are respectable. I have two friends who were married a few weeks before Peter and I were married last Fall. They love and are religious in their own ways. AS am I with my Christianity. Let one man say to me that I am an abomination to God, and I will show you a man who does not worship God, but his own personal deity!

This was a great chapter to read, I agree with his judgement of the other denominational preachers who "Degrade" and "Demoralize" and "Demonize"
gay men and women.


But, y'all straight people can be Bisexual because that's all the rage now. Gimme a man and a few women and it's a party !!! Gimme two women and it's a party !! I don't get straight sexual proclivites. Why do Gay men and women get demonized more for who and what they are, and what they do in bed, when straight people do some "kinky" things themselves???

WHY is SEX such an issue when everybody does it???

Do you even think that Jesus had any feelings in his time, that he loved with great emotion, that he was sad with utter sadness, that he wept and he rejoiced? and as some writers have intimated, he may have even loved Mary Magdalene, and that maybe they produced a child!

Wow, that would just BLOW THE LID off Christianity.

This is the topic of My Master's Study, I am hoping to prove some ideas written about in the Gospels of Phillip and Mary Magdalene.

I admire Tony Campolo's courage to speak up and be supportive, Since I was touched and moved by him as a young man, yeah i think I was gay then too in High School. I had alot of friends I had crushes on. I never told them, save for my best friend on my 21st birthday on a ship in the Bahamas, and he never spoke to me ever again after that. We had been friends for over 8 years. so go figure!

But it was courageous for him to write that chapter. I agree with all of what he said, Except that one aspect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home